Friday 1 April 2016

Off Leash and in the Woods!

Taking the leash off your dog for the first time tends to be a heart stopping, borderline panic moment for most people. I routinely explain which pups naturally will be great at off leash and which ones will need work on recall first. It's gets trickier when they are adults.

Assuming that Toad had neither been in the woods or off leash we set off. There has been leg work going on here at home leading up to this.

First we have been working on his recall (and his name). One of the way's he works for his food is to chase a single kibble down a 20 something foot hall way. When he's about to turn and run back I say "Toad Come!" and he gets another kibble on his return. Repeat about 40 times once a day.

The second game we've been playing, and yes.... training needs to be a "game" for a bull terrier, this is really not a breed to go head to head with. We play hide and seek! Any chance I get to hide from him I take. Behind counters, outside on the gate closed deck, the bath tub behind the shower curtain or behind furniture. When he "finds" me we have a little party.

So, starting to program him to "come" and to watch me (or I disappear, and bullies are attached to their people) works in my favor outside and off leash. I routinely play hide and seek in the woods with my other guy Bosun. I've even climbed trees. A little panic time on the dogs behalf when they think they've lost you goes a long way in them staying focused and not taking off.

Toad was pretty great in the woods on leash. He's used to city walking and telephone pole etiquette so the trees were "normal" for him. What wasn't normal were all the new smells and textures under his feet and things to maneuver over. This new mental stimulation had him panting in no time, which is the goal. Tired minds equal better behaved dogs!

I expect some ya-ya's to happen when I take the leash off any dog, the sudden freedom is exhilarating. I chose a spot that was offered a clear view and let him go. He went about 20' and spent the next 3 minutes smelling, then tucked his front leg, dropped and rolled. Of all the things he could have done, rolling in poop is what he chose. I called him back about 10 times, had a little party in the woods upon his arrival and released him.

He continued to recall  and watch me extremely well for as distracting as the area was. He started to take some cautious jumps, and even drank from a little brook. He stayed impressively close. He had the biggest smile and was just so happy about the whole situation.

We came across a little camp fire. He found that super interesting, the people smells and past food. He stayed with it, giving me an opportunity to "find" me. A game, it turns out, he is extremely good at and pretty proud of himself. It is interesting to note that this guy still mouths, a lot, yet even when he was excited for finding me, he never did so. Stimulated dogs are less frustrated.

When his circle started getting too far and he wasn't as quick to realize I had hid, he got put back on leash. That was after about 20 minutes. An excellent first day off leash!

I will add that I was quite confident in Toad's desire to stay around me before we left. This guy is near as often as possible. He pretty much "claimed" me on the first day he was here and I had friends come to meet him (with the option of adopting). He wanted little to do with them, growled at Greg and sat leaning into me. He follows me and hangs with me. Had he been distracted and not interested in me at all, today wouldn't have happened.

Car rides, of course are on the "list", today's was a short one. On the way he got his leash tangled and almost chewed it in half trying to escape. On the way back, a much more relaxed and happy boy.

Toad continues to be endearing. He's truly learning really quickly, considering the expectations. We have gone this week from me sitting and having breakfast being something out of WWF to me being able to quietly say "off" and him do so. He's got "sit" inside and shakes hands like a pro. He's catching onto back up and drop it. He can relax and hang with me on the sofa. Initially all we could do (my patience and his focus) was about 45 minutes at a time. He's worked up to hours, which gives him more opportunity to learn, and more opportunities for me to teach. The learning will come faster and easier, now that he knows I'm asking something of him. He responds to rewards really well and is eager to figure out what I want.

This face, this happy, sweet face makes it all worth while. All the battles, all the stand offs, all the teaching moments. Life is about the happy face.

No comments:

Post a Comment